Friday, April 16, 2010

A Yummy, Wholesome Breakfast...


I thought I would share a wonderful recipe that our family

enjoys for breakfast. It has been alot of fun to make and

customize to our family's tastes and the current season.


In the spirit of vintage-inspired things I just love, I can

imagine (do I sound like Anne of Green Gables??) an old

relative of mine from long ago assembling a breakfast

cereal like this (with similar ingredients more or less).


Our family hopes you will enjoy it as much as we have!


Homemade Granola Cereal:


10 c. oats

2 c. wheat germ (or coconut flour for wheat-free option)

2 c. shredded coconut

1 c. brown sugar (I usually use less)

1 c. chopped nuts (pecans, almonds, walnuts, etc.)

1 c. dried fruit (dates, raisens, etc.)

1/2 - 1 c. coconut oil (or other healthy oil, if Olive, go "extra light"

1/2 - 1 c. raw, unfiltered honey or real Maple syrup

2 tsp. real vanilla extract

1 tsp. sea salt

1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon


Mix together all the ingredients except dried fruit. Use

hands to mix well, pressing clumps together. Pour mixture

into shallow pans (I usually use 2: 13x9 & 2: 8x8 glass dishes)


Toast at 275 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown.


Turn oven off, stir in dried fruit, and let sit in oven for 30 min.


Different Themes:


Tropical: macadamia nuts and dried pineapple

Autumn Harvest: pecans, dates & maple syrup (instead of

honey)


Other wonderful additions:


raisens, pumpkins seeds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, bannana

chips, carob chips, flax seeds.....


Blessings!!


Malinda B.

2 comments:

  1. O dear! I think you may be a kindred spirit...I just made 8 lbs of granola the other day, canned Apple Pear Butter this morning, and finished watching Anne of Avonlea with my kids today. :) I also love making all our body products. And...I just moved to Berthoud while we look for our homestead. I think we're neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Puff bar

    ReplyDelete